As a team of entities operating with the efficiencies of one powerful company, Quanta Services has the knowledge and expertise to handle a full spectrum of projects. From the most straightforward, single-component installation to the most complex, multi-state project, Quanta can handle the job safely, efficiently and cost-effectively.
For Quanta, safety is the core that all our values center around. We will find a solution for every customer, but we will find the option that protects our people, our customers and our communities. We focus on safety excellence because safety brings you home.
Lead The Way
Drive operational and commercial excellence
High Performance Culture
Identify and develop exceptional
Deliver exceptional value to our customers through innovative new solutions
Dedicated to ethical behavior and integrity in all we do
Quanta’s unique decentralized structure has allowed for our customers to rely on Operating Units they know and trust, but has given them the strength of being backed by a Fortune 500 company. Our Operating Units are often family run businesses that have decades of experience. When they join our family, they have access to resources and tools to perform larger and more complicated projects in a safe manner.
Quanta is the largest specialty contractor in North America and in order to assist customers with communication and ease of access, the leadership team has created a regional structure. Each region is led by a Regional Vice President that has a strong understanding of the cultural, administrative, economic and political nuances of the area. This structure allows for a customer to have a straight-path for contact and information flow.
In order to stay the solution to energy infrastructure problems, Quanta researches and seizes opportunities to break into emerging markets. We offer a diverse portfolio of services and examine the latest technologies and the evolving canvas of the industry. Our trajectory is a result of our forward-thinking, enabling us to identify companies that are able to offer present and future growth for the company as a whole.
Invest in People
Quanta knows a project is only as good as the people that perform the work. We have dedicated a substantial amount of time and resources to the development of our current work force and the work force of the future. One of our greatest accomplishments is a state-of-the-art training facility, Lazy Q Ranch. We are looking ahead to bring new, safer work methods to employees and customers through training and education. An investment in people is an investment in our future.
Lazy Q Ranch
Founder of Quanta Services, John Colson, envisioned a place that the industry workforce could be trained under the strictest safety measures and with the best talent available. Colson succeeded in this and opened the Lazy Q Ranch in August of 2015.
Nestled in the small town of La Grange, Texas is the Lazy Q Ranch, a world class training facility. Situated on over 2,100 acres the Lazy Q is home to the most rigorous training operation in the industry. The focus is on safety education, skill development and certifications.
Electric power linemen and customers can train on cutting-edge technology for all transmission structure types and up to 345kV. This area is powered by its own substation, completely separate from the power provided for the ranch. Quanta Energized Services oversees this portion of the training facility, bringing proprietary technology techniques to the workforce.
The oil and gas section houses pipelines in all major diameters, a flow loop and underground testing capabilities. The pipeline area was designed to be flexible and allow for various diameter pipes to be brought in for integrity testing and training, making this a custom-solution for training on a challenging project.
The telecommunications village features a small town with homes at various stages of construction. This enables development training at all milestones of a project.
The Lazy Q Ranch evolves with the industry and was designed to mirror Quanta’s growth. As we expand our service capabilities, so will the training facility.
Currently we are offering the following trainings:
- AUT Technology
- Crane Training
- Directional Drilling
- Fiber Splicing
- Fundamentals of Pipeline Inspection
- Hot Stick
- Inside Build
- Lineman Training
- MT & UT Training & Certification
- Pipeline Data Analyst
- Q-Inline Prep for Field Based Inspection
- Robotic Arm
- Safety Accident Investigation Workshop
- Tool Testing
- Weights & Forces
- Work Procedure Training
Quanta-SHSU Workforce Development Program is an initiative to bring together higher-education and the business world, a symbiotic workforce development relationship. Beginning in the spring of 2017, the partnership began offering courses to develop job specific skills that expand the project manager level workforce. These students have mentors and exposure to the largest specialty contractor in North America, Quanta Services. In turn, through the partnership, Quanta will have access to the qualified candidates upon their graduation from Sam Houston State University (SHSU).
Quanta funded two additional SHSU professors. Coupled with Quanta managers, they created enhanced curriculum and a hands-on training experience. The pilot program is offering modified courses that are currently a part of the engineering technology department, a minimester and an internship program. Operating Unit and Quanta managers were able to advise on what would make a “good candidate for employment” and these 22 areas became a part of the enhanced syllabi.
The Utilities Project Management Minimester will begin in May of 2017. Students will spend an immersion week at the Lazy Q Ranch, Quanta’s world class training facility. Lead by mentors and facilitators, students will experience a real project through the Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) lifecycle. Also, students will work as teams to complete a project or address a challenge from Quanta’s own files.
The Utilities Industry Internship begins in the summer of 2017 and places the intern directly under a Houston-area project manager. Quanta’s Operating Units, Dashiell, Mears Group, North Houston Pole Line, QPSE and Price Gregory will all be hosts. It is an eight-week paid internship that earns the candidates three credit hours.
“The Quanta Services partnership with SHSU is a unique, multi-dimensional partnership that will enrich the academic course offerings in the engineering technology program with academically and scholarly recognized faculty committed to innovative research and enlighten advanced industry-driven course offerings.”.
– Stanley Kelley, Science and Engineering Technology Department Chair
For questions and more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Quanta Services is founded with PAR, Potelco, Union Power and Trans Tech
- Revenues exceed $150 Million
- PAR performs 1st energized job in the United States at Canon City, CO
- IRBY installs 115 kV McMeekin-Pacific Loop
- Initial public offering under the ticker symbol PWR on the New York Stock Exchange
- Revenues exceed $150 Million
- Sumter awarded COC contract for South Carolina Electric & Gas
- PAR awarded AEP 138kV Beaver Creek – Johns Creek Line
- IRBY installs 115 kV McMeekin-Pacific Loop
- Revenues exceed $1 Billion
- Quanta acquires Irby Construction & Mears Group
- Potelco awarded Electric Outsource Contract at Puget Sound Energy
- PAR awarded Hoover Bypass Substation Installation and 230 kV Transmission Line rebuild by helicopter
- IRBY awarded Bogalusa-Adams Creek 230 kV Loop in New Orleans, LA
- North Houston Pole Line performs Barehand Maintenance work for CenterPoint Energy
- Quanta hosts the inaugural Utility Perspectives
- North Houston Pole Line awarded the Centerpoint Energy Strategic Alliance
- PAR performs 1st 345 kV energized reconductor in the US at LaCygne-Stillwell for KCP&L
- PAR, Irby & Dilliard Smith awarded AEP’s Jackson Ferry Line Construction
- Quanta Energized Services created
- Irby awarded Sierra Pacific Power 345 kV Gonder-Falcon Line Project
- Quanta performs Hurricane Katrina storm restoration for Entergy Louisiana
- PAR awarded First Energy 345 kV Beaver-Carlisle BFI Relocation
- Allteck awarded BC Hydro 2330 kV Insulator Project
- Revenues exceed $2 Billion
- Allteck awarded 230 kV Vancouver Island Transmission Line & Submarine Cable Installation
- Quanta Technology created
- First International project in South Africa completed
- PAR is selected as lead on Northeast Utilities Transmission Infrastructure Services Alliance
- Quanta Energized Services and Quanta Technology perform critical infrastructure repairs for Jamaica Public Service
- PAR awarded Connecticut Light & Power 345 kV Norwalk Transmission Line
- M.J. Electric awarded 345 kV Arrowhead Western Transmission Line
- Dashiell awarded NextEra Energy Horse Hollow 345 kV EPC Turnkey Project
- Quanta added to the S&P 500
- Dashiell awarded NextEra Energy Horse Hollow 345 kV EPC turnkey project
- M.J. Electric founds the New Energy Alliance JV and is awarded National Grid contract
- Mears Hampton Roads named HDD project of the year by Trenchless Technology
- Price Gregory completes Rockies Express Pipeline Project
- Quanta Technology, Allteck, Quanta Services Africa awarded South Africa’s first system wide energized upgrade for Johannesburg’s World Cup preparation
- IRBY awarded Central Maine Power 345 kV Transmission Infrastructure Services Project
- PAR, Dashiell and Crux complete Segments 1-3 of the Tehachapi Renewable Transmission Project for Southern California Edison
- Revenues exceed $4 Billion
- PAR and Realtime awarded 500 kV Trans Allegheny Interstate Line
- InfraSource awarded full gas outsource contract at Puget Sound Energy
- Founder and CEO, John Colson Retires
- Jim O’Neil named CEO
- Revenues exceed $5 Billion
- NHPL awarded AEP 345 kV Energized Reconductor project in South Texas
- Mobilization of over 2,5000 FTEs from 11 Operating Units to assist in Superstorm Sandy restoration efforts
- Announced the completion of the sales of telecom subsidiaries to Dycom Industries
- QPS Engineering awarded by Enterprise Products Partners the Texas Express Facilities Project, to provide EPC services for the Skellytown Station
- Revenues exceed $6 Billion
- Quanta named to the Fortune 500
- Quanta named Number One Public Company in Houston by the Houston Chronicle
- Price Gregory awarded TransCanada’s Houston Lateral Pipeline Project
- Irby, M.J. Electric, North Houston Pole Line, Service Electric and Can-Fer complete CREZ Transmission and Substation Construction projects
- Quanta expands into Australia and the offshore oil & gas market
- Quanta Services named #1 Specialty Contractor, #1 Electrical Contractor and #1 Utilities Contractor by ENR Magazine
- Quanta Services ranks #86 on Fortune’s 100 fastest growing companies
- Quanta Services ranked #32 Corporation by Institutional Investor Magazine
- Backlog increases to a record $9.63 Billion
- Valard is awarded Nalcor Energy’s for the 1,100 kilometer 350 kV Labrador Island Link HVdc Transmission Project
- PAR is awarded Southern California Edison’s completion of Tehachapi Renewable Transmission Project Segments 7 & 8 and the 500 kV Chino Hills Segment of Tehachapi Renewable Transmission Project
- Valard is awarded Alberta Electric System Operator’s Fort McMurray West 500 kV Transmission Project
- Increased Capacity Under Credit Facility to $1.81 Billion
- Repurchased $1.25 Billion in Stock
- Sold Fiber Optic Licensing company Sunesys for $1 Billion
- Price Gregory International awarded Enbridge Pipeline 78 Project
- Quanta Pipeline Engineering Services and Price Gregory International are awarded the Rockies Express Pipeline’s for the REX Zone Three Capacity Enhancement Project
- Jim O’Neil retires as CEO
- Earl C. “Duke” Austin, Jr. named CEO and COO
- Quanta Services partners with AEP to win Prestigious EEI Edison Award for Project of the Year
- Quanta Services completes the acquisition of Stronghold, Ltd. and Stronghold Specialty, Ltd. (Stronghold)
- Quanta Services selected by American Electric Power for the Wind Catcher Generation Tie Line
- Quanta Services selected by Enbridge Pipelines for Line 3 Replacement Program
Earl C. “Duke” Austin, Jr.
President, Chief Executive Officer and Chief Operating Officer
As chief executive officer for Quanta Services, Earl C. “Duke” Austin, Jr. drives the operations of the largest specialized contractor serving electric power, natural gas and pipeline customers in North America. Austin has played a key role in Quanta’s significant growth in its key markets, including strategic development of the company’s capabilities in assessment, planning, engineering and design, procurement, construction, commissioning and testing and operations and management of critical infrastructure systems.
Prior to his current role, Austin served as chief operating officer and served as president of Quanta’s Electric Power and Natural Gas and Pipeline Divisions before assuming the chief operating officer role. Austin initially joined the Quanta executive team in 2009 to lead the company’s expanding pipeline operations.
Previously he served as president of North Houston Pole Line, LP, a Quanta operating unit. He was instrumental in the strategic growth of the Texas-based unit, which delivers a full range of electric power, gas and telecommunication utility infrastructure services to customers throughout the region.
Austin serves on the board of the Southwest Line Chapter of the National Electrical Contractors Association. He received a bachelor’s degree in business management with an emphasis in accounting from Sam Houston State University. Austin resides in Houston with his wife, three sons and one daughter.
Derrick A. Jensen
Chief Financial Officer
Prior to taking on his current responsibilities in May 2012, Jensen served as senior vice president – finance and administration and chief accounting officer with oversight of the company’s finance and accounting, treasury, IT and risk management functions. Jensen also had a significant role in the company’s acquisition and integration strategies and the development of integrated business and information system processes.
Throughout his 15-year tenure at the company, Jensen had increasing financial and accounting responsibilities. He joined Quanta in 1997 as controller, a title he held until 2009. He added the roles of vice president and chief accounting officer in 1999.
Before joining Quanta, Jensen obtained his public accountant certification (CPA) and was a manager at Arthur Andersen LLP where he served primarily commercial clients, many of which were highly acquisitive.
Jensen earned a Bachelor of Science in business administration with a major in accounting from Oklahoma State University in 1992.
President – Oil & Gas and Chief Strategy Officer
As president for the oil and gas sector and chief strategy officer of Quanta Services, Paul works with the corporate management team in all areas of oil and gas operations and overall strategy.
Paul began his career in the construction of pipelines and related facilities in 1989 with Gregory & Cook, Inc. He has direct field and management level experience in all facets of pipeline construction. In 1997, Paul, along with long-time members of Gregory & Cook’s management, formed Gregory & Cook Construction, Inc. where he served as President and CEO for over 10 years. In 2008 the company was combined with H.C. Price to form Price Gregory International which is now Quanta Services largest transmission pipeline division.
Paul holds a Bachelor of Business Administration and a Master of Business Administration, both from the University of Texas, Austin. He is an active member of the Pipe Line Contractors Association serving on the Board of Directors, Labor Committee and as President.