Energized Services for Service Electric Companies
Any disruption to the power supply can result in costly outages for electric utilities, which in turn can compromise reliability and customer satisfaction. That’s why maintaining, upgrading or rebuilding voltage lines and facilities without interrupting the flow of electricity represents a substantial competitive advantage for transmission and distribution companies.
Expert teams use traditional energized methods augmented by our exclusive and patented LineMaster™ robotic arm, which helps create an even safer and more efficient work environment for electrical maintenance and power line repairs and upgrades.
What is Energized Services?
Quanta uses proprietary processes and equipment to perform energized services that repair and rebuild transmission lines still in an energized state. Through the energized services provided by Quanta, we can deliver power to a region, while improving the reliability to the customers that need it most.
As a result, we can maintain, upgrade and even rebuild virtually any power line or power facility efficiently, effectively and safely, while keeping the electricity flowing to customers.
- Increases the utilization of existing transmission assets
- Allows work to commence without having to schedule outages
- Improves reliability and customer service
- Provides upgrade relief to congested paths without adding to the congestion
- Increases thermal capacity
- Enables reuse of existing rights-of-way
- Reduces matting and footprints in wetland areas
- Reduces operational costs and delays from line switching and grounding
- Enables emergency repairs to generators (including nuclear plant substations) without plant outages
Rebuilding Transmission Lines in an Energized State With the LineMaster Robotic Arm
The exclusive and patented LineMaster robotic arm helps our highly-trained personnel deliver a level of efficiency and safety that’s unsurpassed in the energized services industry.
The robotic arm operates by a hydraulic actuator that attaches to conventional line trucks and is controlled by a ground-based safety spotter. The arm can extend up to 10 feet, rotate up to 270 degrees and comes in four primary models that generates from 500 to 12,000 pounds of lift.
Field benefits of the LineMaster robotic arm
- Safely reconductors, rebuilds, replaces, and adds lines and equipment while keeping the system in service
- Securely holds energized lines and equipment intact during servicing
- Increases personnel safety distance to live-lines
- Operates in restricted rights-of-way
A Service Electric Company with Unparalleled Safety and Training
The companies that make up Quanta Services began working on electric infrastructure during the build-out of the nation’s electric grid during the 1930s and 1940s. Over the decades we’ve established a proven track record of understanding operational safety issues and what it takes to train a highly qualified worker.
An energized services record of safety and training that speaks for itself
- No energized services work-related incident or injury during more than 2 million man-hours
- “Proven-safe” work procedures — if a need to change a procedure is identified, work is stopped, the procedure is revised and the workforce is retrained before work is restarted
- Specially trained, hand-selected teams that include screening for journeyman linemen
- 120 hours training per candidate, including math and use of tools
- Demanding tests that ensure only the strongest candidates become qualified